Christmas in Mexico, NY
December 1, 2018
Business Window Decorating Contest
Christmas in Mexico - December 1, 2018
Get into the Christmas Spirit this year by experiencing the vast array of Holiday shopping opportunities and seasonal offerings you’ll find in Christmas in Mexico on December 1, 2018. There is a Home Decorating Contest, Shop Window Decoration Contest, street entertainment along with craft fairs, church bazaars, entertainment, food and drink, horse drawn carriage rides, Friends of Bob Cratchit, a visit with Santa and Mrs. Claus, a lighted parade, a Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony, and much much more. Bundle up and bring the whole family for a fabulous fun filled day of Christmas in Mexico!
Programs with map and schedule of the day’s FREE events will be available at local merchants and the Chamber of Commerce Booth during the day.
Here are some of the day’s events:
- Catholic, Episcopal, Methodist, and Presbyterian churches with crafts, bazaars, raffles and food.
- Vendors at MACS Elementary on Academy Street 9-4. Food will be available.
- Large raffle at the High School to benefit MACS Dollars for Scholars.
- MACS Teacher Union will hand out a FREE book to every child that stops by their table, just outside the rear entrance to the High School. They will also offer hot cocoa and popcorn.
- Local Business will be hosting open houses and specials.
- Pathfinder Bank will be serving refreshments in their lobby 9-12pm
- Horse-drawn carriage rides are free 12-4
- Damiano’s Eatery offers FREE Christmas cookie decorating again this year, (ages 12 and under) from noon-3. They also have pictures with Santa 12-4.
- Stefano’s Pizzeria is providing FREE make-and-take SLIME. Noon – 4 or when supplies are gone.
- Take Charge Strength Studio is offering FREE canvas Santa painting by kids in one side of their business, noon till 4 or when supplies run out. In the other side of their building they will offer FREE fun fitness competitions also 12-4.
- Daddy Ed's will be visited by the Grinch and Cindy Lou Who from 10-12.
- Oswego County Federal Union is offering pictures with Santa 10:30 – 1, Face painting, cookie decorating and FREE coffee, water and hot chocolate 10 am – 2 pm They also have a coloring contest for ages up to 10, and Santa will select the contest winners at 1:15pm.
- There is FREE shuttle bus service to numerous participating businesses in the village.
- Mexico Public Library is offering a Gingerbread House Workshop, again this year, for kids from 10 am until the kits are gone. Cost is $3.00. They are also hosting an open house 10-2 with refreshments, door prizes, and a used book sale.
- Starr Clark Tin Shop & Underground Railroad Museum is open until 5pm. They will have tin smith demonstrations, unique gift basket raffles, and FREE refreshments.
- Style Inn will be hosting “Decorate a Tree Ornament” for children from 9 – 12.
- Cornell Co-operative Extension is hosting a Holiday Farmer’s Market at the Edick-Hamlink VFW Post #369 on Route 3 north of the village.
- A stop-and-stamp contest runs 9-5. Contest forms can be found in the official program at most area businesses and at the Chamber Booth on Main St. the day of Christmas in Mexico. In the program there is a list of businesses participating, and when you visit their business they will stamp your form. Once all of the businesses have stamped your form it can be deposited near the Christmas tree at Cornell Co-Operative Extension. Winners will be drawn at the tree lighting ceremony, and the prizes are baskets donated by our local merchants will be awarded.
- Before the parade starts there will be live music at the tree in front of Cornell COE, from 3-5 including The Oswego County Barbershop Chorus.
- This year the lighted parade will start near the Elementary school on Academy Street and proceed east up Main Street to North Jefferson Street.
- Our community Christmas tree lighting immediately follows the parade. Here we will also announce the stop-and-stamp contest winners. We will have recognition of our Sponsorship Level Businesses, and we will also announce the winners of our Business window decorating contest and Residential decorating contest.
- Immediately following the ceremony and lighting of the Christmas Tree, the Mexico Volunteer Fire Depart opens their door to the community. Here the children can meet and talk to Santa and Mrs. Claus. There will be refreshments available.
NEW this year, the Chamber is sponsoring a 5k race on Sunday (yes, the following day, 12/2/18) for individuals or families to have fun. The race is not timed and it is not a competition, just family fun. There is no entry fee, but participants are asked to bring a non-perishable food donation for the food pantries, or a small gift to be donated to Toys for Tots. Following the 5k race, there will be a chili cook-off in the village. If there is not too much snow, the cook-off will be on the Fireman’s field. In the event of deep snow, it will be on Main Street. The chili cook-off is a joint effort by the Chamber and Mexico Middle School. More information will follow on this, see the Facebook page: The Winter RUNderland December Dash.
Type your paragraph here.
9 am to 7 pm
And much more!